We're definitely in the middle of summer: vacation has come and passed, the lake is on a roll, school is right around the corner (yes, school), and before I get thrown out of summer routine and get buried in a new-but-still-busy routine, I thought I had better take time to re-count some of the little things.
When Gage wakes up, I hear his feet thump, thump, thump into our bedroom where he gets really close to my face and whispers, "mom, is it time for breakfast yet?" Breakfast is really just code word to Gage that it's okay to get up and start a racous that will wake up his sister. (I'm going to teach him to make coffee on his way into our room.)
When Leila wakes up, I hear her gibberish as she talks to her stuffed animals in such a cute way. (I really love that babies get attached to non-live objects as if they were alive.) Then she begins: Maaamaaaa. Maaaamaaaa. Mama!! Maaaaamaaaaa. The girl has definitely learned my name :)
Gage's memory makes my day: what doctor has what toy, what restaraunt has what colored straws, what piece of equipment was bought at what store... he's amazing.
When the Polaris is even slightly within earshot, my kids can detect it first and they know that their father is near. They get really excited and Leila just shrieks and shrieks until he has pulled to a complete stop. It's so cute and endearing that when Austin leaves in the Polaris and can't take the kids with him, it leaves me to console at least Leila, who just doesn't get it yet. Austin understands my role and when he leaves after they've gone to bed, he pushes the Polaris out of our driveway and starts it after he's rolled down the hill beyond our house.
Somehow a pair of white ducks have rooted themselves in one of the ponds. Without a hitch, each time we pass, both of my kids race to find the ducks, wave to them, and Leila proudly says, "Duck Duck Duck"
Riding around the park, my kids surprise me with manners at times when I least expect it. I love it when Leila decides to wave and say hello (or bye) to each golf cart or vehicle we pass. When we're out and about I love it when Gage talks up Austin Lake like he has already earned a marketing and advertising degree. Lately, he told the cashier at Kroger that his name was Gage Brant Cable, he's four, and he lives at Austin Lake, where she should come because there are all kinds of neat boats there.
Simply, I love it when my kids play in the 100-ton sand pile... amazing how long they can keep themselves so occupied... and how dirty they get!
I love it when Gage wants to pick up litter because "that's not nice to litter, mom."
Leila makes my day when she drags around her white blanket like Linus and wraps it around her like a shawl to walk down steps.
I'm secretly pleased that Gage says he wishes I'd work at his school. I'm devestated that he won't be part of my EGCC morning ritual, one he's been part of ever since the day I started. (is this the beginning of a new bond between father and son as Gage will now go to school with Austin?) I'm so glad that I get to pick him up every day.
Leila + bouncy balls... now that is just great entertainment.
Throwing rocks into the creek or lake or feeding the fish off the ski dock-- both of my kids can do this for hours.
I love that my children still both sit with me in the recliner at bedtime while we have some wind-down time. I love the way they smell, I love the way they sound, I love that I get to be with them.
Their smiles. Their smiles make my day each and every day.
No comments:
Post a Comment