"I have found the best way to give advice to your children is to find out what they want and then advise them to do it."
--Harry S. Truman

Thursday, March 11, 2010

So Be It

Whenever I can let my guard down with one thing, my guard over another thing goes into overdrive. Although I have a week off from work, Leila has been sick and most of my accomplishments deal with surviving another day with only three hours of sleep in the night. However, we have had a lot of recliner and TV time this week and as long as Leila isn't screaming, I'm okay with the overload of Nick Jr. Afterall, I only want to watch TV when I don't feel well, too. But, the longer I sit, the more I over think everything... not good for the blood pressure:

For starters, Leila definitely is not making strides to talk much at all. Gage was a verbal prodigy so even though I try not to compare them, I have to use him as a reference tool. She jabbers and jabbers, which is way cute because she thinks she's telling you a real story of course, but she's not really using words. I should remind myself here that it's much cuter to listen to baby jabber than to toddlers talking back :)... I just want to know that she's developing safe and soundly.

Secondly, with Gage, we went from nursing, to weaning, to cups with no problem whatsoever. Bottles and Gage never really were a norm. Because I quit nursing Leila around 9 months, she's quite attached to bottles. It's not sitting pretty to get rid of them all together and that's bothering me. I realize I don't have a pacifier habit to worry about with her, but bottles... a different story. I've always hated them, I hate formula, and I just want my drawer free from them, but I guess my reluctance to give her only milk or soy milk (rather) in conjunction with habit-loving babies means we just have to take one day at a time. Being sick hasn't helped our endeavor to wean.

Lastly, she is so bull-headed that while we welcome spring with open arms, I know my mom duties are going to increase exponentially once we get outside regularly. Gage was very trainable to listen, follow directions, and to remember for the next time. I thought Austin and I did so well at this because once he started walking well, we put him in his puppy harness wherever we went so he had to learn all this stuff... now I realize that it's just his personality to listen and follow directions. Grandma bought Leila her own pink puppy harness and I can't even get it on her, let alone take her out in public to 'train' her to walk with me and such. Our driveway and the concession stand at the Lake will turn my hair gray this year. She is not one to be told no and to take it like a little lady should, if you know what I mean. I'm okay with fits and tantrums... I'm not okay with Lake traffic and stupid drivers.

My mom would say to me... she'll talk when she has to, she'll give up the bottles when she wants to, and she'll learn the ways of the Lake all in due time... true advice, yes, helpful for the graying, high blood pressure and sleep deprived momma who needs all the energy she can get... nada. I'm still working on that 'not sweating every little thing' part of being a momma.

No comments:

Post a Comment