Gage recently turned 5 and he enjoyed a few celebrations. I don't know why 5 is a milestone age to get all weepy over, but I admit that it has been difficult for me to admit that the boy is 5 and will start kindergarten this fall. I hate how quickly all this fun slips through our days. For reflection of Gage as a 5-year old, here are some quick notes:
He's old enough to have sleepovers, but he's still weepy at saying good bye when people have to leave.
He's smart enough to know exactly how coal is made into electricity and he lectures his sister on energy conservation daily. (no lie, and I swear we don't put him up to it nor do we lecture on such topics with as much conviction as he has)
He's old enough to understand his food allergies and to ask inquisitive questions about ingredients when we're out and about, but don't let that fool you into thinking he's ready to quit sleeping with 'his boys' or his coo.
He has a memory like none I've seen and his Poppy tests him on it frequently. I don't think he's missed a beat on any of the tests.
He has as large a vocabulary as some high schoolers, uses it properly, but still calls Thursday "Fursday" etc.
He has a bit of the worry gene in him (I try so hard not to pass that down onto my kids) and he's already reminding us that we will need to remember to pack money for him when he goes to kindergarten "because I'll be hungry at lunch time."
He's riding a bicycle with training wheels and it's time just to set him free and make him figure it out.
He is as passionate about farming, forestry, and fire fighting as the day when he saw his first John Deere, Skidder, or Pierce.
He's pretty sure Michigan is about one of the coolest places on Earth-- one family vacation has gone a long way for him.
He knows fast food isn't a 'healthy choice' and sometimes chooses Subway--even though Wendy's is his favorite-- when it's 'his turn' so he "stays healthy."
He likes to "exercise"-- running, biking, swinging, skiing, hiking, etc. But so far, he's a perfectionist so he may be tough to break into team sports. This spring will be his debut in soccer.
He loves animals, though, when asked he prefers not to touch them-- he loves them in the sense that he doesn't want anything to happen to them. He demonstrated this very well recently when he was worried about a carp that a boy caught at the lake. When it was reeled in Gage was very sad and hurt that the fish was hurt and being taken from his family. He asked the boy to put him back into the water.
He can now swish fluoride and use real toothpaste. :)
He uses chopsticks, is starting to try new foods--like Chinese and dairy free Pizza-- and still loves his veggies.
He is starting to be influenced by buddies and sometimes tells Austin and me some things that we aren't so proud to hear come from his mouth, but he's learning that he's not in trouble and that it's okay to let us guide him when we're disappointed.
Dinosaurs have joined forces with Thomas the Train and Thomas the Train has joined forces with Legos. He isn't ready to let go of any of his major toys or past times, but he's creatively inter-twining them.
He doesn't need pjs anymore, just underwear... just like his dad, he says.
There is quite a lot to him, of course. I barely remember days without him and when I am without him, I barely go a few hours before I'm already wondering what he's up to and how he's doing. I am pretty sure that the day that my water broke as well as the aftermath of the c-section and coming home will always feel like it happened to us yesterday. What details there are between birth to now!
No comments:
Post a Comment