"I have found the best way to give advice to your children is to find out what they want and then advise them to do it."
--Harry S. Truman

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Reds vs. Bucs

My Grandpa Bailey was a huge MLB fan.  His favorite team was the Cincinnati Reds.  For years, I spent the weekends at my grandparents' house and during baseball season, my grandpa's radio was always tuned in.  He watched the games on tv also,  but there is just something awesome about baseball on the radio.  I can still smell the summer days of fresh cut grass, tractor fuel, and my Grandpa's after shave.

Starting when my brothers were little, my Grandma and Grandpa Bailey usually took us to at least one Cincinnati Reds game every summer.  It was common to watch them play the Pirates because of our geographic location.  I know I didn't always love every minute of a long baseball game, but I know I loved every minute of going to one with my grandparents.  It's certainly part of me still today.

Finally,  we fulfilled my long-lost summer tradition of going to see the Pirates and Reds face off.  Even though I am in a walking cast... and going to a game in Pittsburgh usually means lots of walking... I sucked it up to be a good sport because this was just so important to me.

I didn't know what the kids would think so I took some little things to keep them occupied, but all were unnecessary.  From the hike across the river into the stadium, to the statues and city views from outside the stadium, to the game itself (including the Peiroggi race), the kids were absolutely into it.  Hooray!

The Pirates won (I wore my red dangly earrings for the Reds...) so the kids really thought that was important.  The after-game ended with a spectacular fireworks show that truly felt like we were right beneath the blossoming explosions.  That was the first time Leila has seen fireworks and the first Gage has seen them since he was just a little guy.  (So, that, too, was super important to me!)  I really felt like we had a family outing that felt so normal to me, that everyone enjoyed, and that touched a special place in my heart.

Despite Gage getting sick at the end and trying to make it back to the car without a public display of his powerful projectile vomits, we worked everything out all evening.  With a lot of preparation, we continue to learn that our limitations only limit us if we allow them!  Thank you, Austin, for giving me some normal!  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment