"I have found the best way to give advice to your children is to find out what they want and then advise them to do it."
--Harry S. Truman

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The Best Part of Waking Up

I can't believe that we start school again next week.  It's truly August at Austin Lake and there is never enough time for either Austin or me to get anything accomplished from the 'list' of things to do over the summer.  We're still up every night with Leila and even though we're getting better at trading so someone has a better chance of a full night's rest, we aren't out of the woods yet.

Over the weekend, we were up with Leila most of the night (I'm still convinced that when the next two teeth come through that we'll get relief... or, rather, she'll get relief).  On Friday night, Austin wrestled with her to go back to sleep for awhile without luck so I pulled myself from bed for the third or fourth time that night and she went right to sleep as soon as she started rocking with me.  Finally, around 7 a.m. I slumbered back into my bed thinking of the 'at least one more hour' of sleep that I could get... until Sir Gage's footsteps shuffling his way to my side of the bed were imminent.  I did my best to try to coax him into sleeping some more with me... or to play on the floor next to me... or even to play with his tractors in bed next to me, but it wasn't working.  The next best wish I knew at this point was to ask him to go make the coffee.  

His reply:  I can't make coffee by myself!  Sure you can.  Four scoops, then pour in the water.  But.  That's Daddy's job.  

Things that are great in life #107:  a son who knows that dad's are for making coffee

You're right, Gage... you better go wake him up so you can make some coffee.  And he did.

I have no idea how we're going to survive school mornings this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment