Once home with Austin's help, Gage was occupied outside. Leila was actually putting herself to sleep and I had 20 minutes to do the Austin Lake work, which I needed to get finished. As Alanis Morrisette sang so well time and again, "isn't it ironic"... that all hades lets loose at the same time. As Austin was away at the mailbox, Gage runs to the door in tears and, again, showcases that he is not potty trained to do the dirty deed just yet. He's embarrassed, he's tired, he's just a wreck. I'm coping with him outside as all the A.C. is escaping the back door. Dad returns just in time to take over his pooper scooper duties at his own house this time and I am actually relieved to have the window in time to put Gage to bed. Coming into the house and getting all set up for bed time, Leila lets me know that she certainly did not fall asleep...
But she definitely fell... right onto the floor. Leila made her first, and hopefully last, splat from the bed. I half-expected to see blood gushing, split tongue, or busted up bone but was thankful that her window-breaking cry was all the girl had for us. How it went down is just par for the course when it comes to me + summer at the lake + trying to handle two kiddos and all their kiddo needs. Running to her room I thought for sure by the sound of it that I'd find her buried under the sheet, her favorite place. When at first glance I didn't find her at all until I saw her face down on the carpet. Insert feeling like the biggest loser of a mom ever. Bad habits are hard to break and I think I was hurt more in the end. I had originally put her in the bed to nurse her when we first got home but since she was content to just be laying, I left her there to see if she'd put herself to sleep. (I knew I wasn't ready to give in to the pressures from others.) Definitely, I think I'd rather continue to spoil her with rocking than to ever see the look of fear on her pretty little face again.
Momma's know best, even though we do screw up every now and again.
No comments:
Post a Comment