"I have found the best way to give advice to your children is to find out what they want and then advise them to do it."
--Harry S. Truman

Thursday, October 1, 2009

Time Is Hurling Like A Rocket

I understand the saying "time flies when...", but I think time is moving much more quickly than the act of merely flying.  With working three days a week, I have been hearing and seeing more note-worthy material than I have had time to keep up in writing.  Plus, I read an article in Newsweek last week that made me wonder if I was using enough discretion when blogging about my children's child-like antics.... I admit I have never thought about this blog and their future feelings about me blogging about their silliness, sicknesses, and other such stuff. 

Regardless, these are some new Cable children anecdotes and updates:
  • The spiraling winter time sickness has begun:  Gage currently has bronchitis and an upper respiratory infection and Leila has two ear infections and what is called H1 Flu, not to be confused with H1N1 Flu, thank goodness.  I read in my recent research that children who have two parents who have allergies have an 80% chance of having allergies.  I'm glad to know that the blame is no longer all on me, but I am not glad that seasonal allergies only complicate our allergy issues.  I wish I could say that our problems were only 'seasonal'.
  • We asked Gage if he knew what he'd like Santa to bring him for Christmas.  He said a Ford John Deere.  Unsure what this looks like, of course, I asked him to describe that for me.  When that description wasn't helping us out at all, Austin just changed the subject and asked Gage if he'd like a bulldozer.  Gage said, "Naaaa.  I don't think (pronounced 'fink') Santa collects bulldozers."
  • On another Christmas note, Gage is making a much longer list for Leila than he is for himself.  I think he's smarter than the average bear; he knows that if she has more of her own toys, the chances of her playing with all of his toys may be less.
  • Leila is up on her knees and is doing pretty well with staying there long enough to crawl a little bit.  She's getting really good at making tee-pees and bucking like a bull, too.  She still prefers non-toy objects over any kind of toy objects, followed with a preference for Gage's toys... thus, Gage enjoys making a Christmas wish list for her.  
  • My mom and I are in the process of inventing a snuggie blanket for babies...one that zips up and stays on so that my daughter will stayed covered at night.  She has been waking up so often because she gets cold, and she gets cold because she romps all over her bed.  No trick I've tried has kept the blankets on her.  So, we'll see what ole' Ma Bailey can do for the girl.  A couple nights ago her lips were blue because she was so cold.  And, of course, it didn't help cold matters that she had also peed the bed.  She was so wet that the pee rolled out of her footed jammies when I changed her.  Bathing a babe and making up a fresh bed at 4 a.m. is never an easy task.
  • On the next potty note, Gage has been accident-free for an entire month!  This includes nap and bed times also.  I've been buying him a treat for every week he goes without an accident.  Yesterday I changed the rules and so far he goes along with these kinds of changes quite well.  Now, I've limited those treats to just books.  If I have to walk over, find a home for, or step on one more truck, tractor, or wagon, I'm going to have a fit.  Books = much more ease.
  • Gage is also getting over his fear of dogs at Mollie's.  When Mollie was feeding another baby, she convinced him to rescue a shoe that a puppy had. Eventually, he did it.  Then, the next time the puppy had a shoe, Gage took charge and got it from the puppy without being asked.  Monumental breakthrough!! 
  • Finally, Miss Leila is ready for the next car seat, is big enough to ride inside the wagon with Gage, and has two more teeth poking through.  I'm in denial that our baby days are numbered.  :(

No comments:

Post a Comment