"I have found the best way to give advice to your children is to find out what they want and then advise them to do it."
--Harry S. Truman

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Pleasant Hill, Here Gage Comes

Today Austin and I took Gage to his new school, starting this fall. We met with his teacher, the school nurse, the head cook, and the principal! We were overwhelmed with smiles and laughs and accommodating attitudes-- the kinds that you know are authentic. Beyond the academic needs, we now can rest knowing that his dietary needs will also be appreciated as our family will extend to the include the staff at Pleasant Hill.

I'm super eager and now, thanks to all the information they shared with me, I will be able to spend the summer buying the same exact food that will be offered in the cafeteria so that we can begin our trial and error process that will hopefully lead to a list of foods that Gage will have option to eat. Part of dealing with allergies is simply that... trial and error, but we feel strongly about expanding his options whenever possible instead of limiting his choices because of fear of the unknown.

I'm so glad that we met before summer began and, as a result, a weight the size of the northern hemisphere has been lifted from my shoulders. It's going to be bittersweet to switch schools as both Gage and Austin will finish their days at Stanton next week. We have been given an opportunity to meet new people who I know will be as wonderful as some of the folks at Stanton that we've grown close to-- and who knows-- another consolidation may even bring some of those folks together again. We're trying to roll with the changes and be excited for the unknown; afterall, our days are what we make of them.

His sister will get to join him in just two short years (sniff!) and shoot, by then, I may have to start on that nutrition book people keep asking me to write. Well, in theory I could do that, anyway. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment