"I have found the best way to give advice to your children is to find out what they want and then advise them to do it."
--Harry S. Truman

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Little Miss Moneybags

It has been no secret that I don't seem to know what I'm doing as a mother when it comes to teaching Leila the ways and means of normal sleeping. But, I have learned with child #2 what it means to 'pick and choose battles' and most of the time, the sleeping battle (as hopeless as it has always been) is one we don't often pick to work on. It's called 'can't afford any more sleep deprivation' at this point in my life.

However, one night she magically went to sleep without one of us laying with her (magically=she got in trouble at the dinner table and was put into bed... and actually minded by staying there). On top of that, she slept all night by herself. Feeling somewhat guilty for putting a child in bed without finishing dinner for the first time since I've been a mom, I was happy to have a good excuse to shower her with love in the morning.

When she came out of her room, refreshed and happy, I made a huge deal out of her sleeping all night and all by herself like a big girl. She lit up over the praises. Then, I gave her a quarter. You would have thought she won the lottery and proudly she exclaimed, "FOR KENNYWOOD!" By golly, I think we just figured out the stick and carrot for the sleeping battle. For over a week it worked.

Then...


Dad Austin started reading himself to sleep instead of reading Leila asleep and before we knew it, we were right back to where we started: Leila wanted one of us to lay with her and she came in at least once in the night wanting someone to get back in bed with her. So, although I don't always have the answers, and I know moms around the world would have their judgment day with me who has failed to teach my child how to lull herself back to sleep, I am a fighter. I decided I'd pay Austin two quarters each night he could get out of her room before he fell asleep with her. Afterall, his Kennywood ticket does cost more.

He likes this deal very much. And we've had another round of success.

No comments:

Post a Comment