"I have found the best way to give advice to your children is to find out what they want and then advise them to do it."
--Harry S. Truman

Sunday, December 13, 2009

It's the Little Things

In a matter of one day, one doctor who spent the day with us and the persistence of doing what's best for our kids, Gage's food allergy list was reduced to five: shellfish and essentially all nuts. It's been a week and Austin and I are still in awe, heart-racing and hopeful awe.

In the last week Gage has had pancakes made with Bisquick and topped with syrup, clementines, a grilled cheese on white bread with butter, and about five funfetti cupcakes---all for the first time in his life. He has been on such a restricted (and sometimes nearly impossible) diet since he was 15-months old that when our 'new' allergist at Children's Hospital in Pittsburgh told us that we could go crazy with the food and feed him almost anything we wanted, we've hardly known what to do. I guess I should record the medical end of the day, but I wanted my story to be about our celebration: a big fat doughnut with sprinkles. Gage's eyes were on high beams and that made me tear up on several occasions.

I haven't been able to throw away our rotational diet note cards yet, and Gage is still asking us to check the cards before he comes up with something he wants to eat... but we're re-learning how to eat without it all being dictated for us. I have a feeling that these days are going to come and go in Gage's memory and I will be scarred for life--just as I know I am from the 15 solid months of vomiting. I will never be able to put into words the amount of weight lifted from my shoulders on that day and I will always be grateful for having two beautifully healthy children. Good Health-- I tell you, it's the brightest part of our days.




No comments:

Post a Comment