I knew my days of mothering a baby were numbered, but I can't help but feel excited for Leila as she turns into a little toddler girl. I've heard all kinds of people use the line of this blog title, using whatever numbers most appropriate for the child, but I can't help but to use it, too, as Little Leila is definitely not going to let anyone show her up... regardless of her 16 months of age.
She is starting to be a lot more trustworthy to listen to me in dangerous situations. I.E., the beach--she really doesn't have the daring interest to do what her brother's doing when we're in the water. She might try to do everything he does in other places, but not the water. Smart Girl. But, it doesn't stop there. She's more trustworthy at the Concession Stand also. At the lake, the concession stand is the nucleus of all major activity. The foot traffic and motor traffic all pass through this area. Lots to do, lots to see, lots of people, cars, and golf carts around. I've mentioned before that I sometimes avoid the concession stand with my kids because it is the place that will turn my hair gray. She's pretty good at not going into the road--even stopping at the road when her ball rolls out. She's pretty good at coming when she's called, and she has gotten SO much better at NOT throwing a helluva tantrum when it's time to move on to something else, leaving behind whatever was occupying her. Major attitude improvement.
Leila is also starting to be a lot more understandable verbally. She's still pretty Dutch, but she's doing better at trying to use 'words' and gestures to communicate to us rather than whines and grunts. My nerves are thankful and so is Leila's belly--as it's getting filled up with a lot more stuff that she is choosing. Sign language has helped us at meal time, also... not really for any other time, but she is signing a lot when she's hungry.
On vacation, she simply wouldn't stand for not being independent. She started to call Jared and Hallie by their names. She started to point and speak her wishes. And, she even started walking herself to the pack and play whenever we mentioned it was 'nigh-nigh' time. I've never had such an easy time getting her to sleep. She also did not want to ride in the stroller; she wanted to be the one to push the stroller. Much of vacation she did exactly that--held onto the under carriage and pushed the stroller on our walks. She held hands to walk, she swung in a big-girl's swing, and she at on a barstool-- un-strapped down and semi-unsupervised... without threat to her safety, mind you.
The body-throwing, temper-rearing, squabbling Leila is blossoming into a much more mild-mannered toddler. She's still head strong and courageous, as she always will be, but she is also almost to the point where I might be able to leave her with a babysitter without fretting so much. I mean, afterall, we've nailed a road trip that was well over 10 hours long one way. I'm starting to feel a bit more unstoppable in this mom-of-two-babes role. I don't even think Pink Puppy is necessary anymore for any reason other than cuddling.
No comments:
Post a Comment