but when it's your child, you choose being that mom when you realize there are next to no other advocates out there. I can't believe I'm already starting Gage's first school experience off with a meeting with the teachers. I don't doubt their ability to give Gage a wonderful school experience one bit. In fact, I purposely wanted Gage to go to Stanton so that he would experience the preschool teacher who is there. But, seriously, folks, when my child has allergies that are potentially fatal, I really don't, nor ever have had, have the ability to just 'sit back and see how it goes.'
I advocate for all families whose children have any kind of allergy, disability, or 'impairment': Parents don't get to wake up in the morning and see 'how it goes.' Parents have to wake up every morning with a plan, with working knowledge, and with the energy to take care of the child despite any pitfalls handed to him or her. If all the planning fails, the back-up plan in our case involves the ER, not a list of 14 phone numbers. Why is that so hard to understand? If my doctor has filled out 4 different pieces of paper, all signed and dated by him, why do I get 7 more of the same thing two days before school starts? Every school I've ever worked in has a copy machine. Are you seriously okay with asking me to run around God's creation, ask my doctor to fill out more paperwork, and run it back to you when you can just make a copy? Why is it imperative that I do things in a timely fashion and make the time and effort to complete everything, only to show up to orientation to find out that 1) they've lost the paperwork I've done 2) there is no time for Q & A because they have to go somewhere else in a hurry and 3) the only way for me to get time with the teacher is to make another appointment. Insert here: find and pay for a babysitter AGAIN and miss another day of work?? I don't think so. I'm so disappointed. so so so disappointed.
No comments:
Post a Comment