"I have found the best way to give advice to your children is to find out what they want and then advise them to do it."
--Harry S. Truman

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Gage's Lessons

Gage's new glasses will be coming any day now in the mail. When he first started wearing glasses, he was just shy of his 3rd birthday. I was then, and still am now, amazed at how cooperative to wear his glasses he has been since minute one. He always surprises me at the best of times (most needed of times) to be mature and mindful.

Just recently the idea that his prescription may have changed resurfaced. I've embraced that feeling that makes me feel like I'm always a nag or picking out something wrong because, truthfully, it's always worked out for the best for us and we've avoided drama because of that persistence.

After an exam, we learned that his vision needs were changing. Now, I know I've worn glasses/contacts since 6th grade and all too often each yearly exam came with a new prescription. But, there is something different about it being my child in that chair and the fact that my child hasn't even entered kindergarten yet. He'll be just fine with new glasses, although he is starting to realize he's "the only kid in [pre] school that wears glasses... and we assure him that won't always be true. But parents have constant emotions going on that kids are not cognisant to.

His attitude keeps my worry bugs away and my husband's positive attitude (and the fact he teaches middle schoolers every day) keeps my emotions in check, but the big picture to this story is how true it is that parents just only want the best for their children. We, as adults, who have 'been there, done that' are so tainted with memories and images and scenes of uglier days of our past, that without purpose we project into the future. Unlike the kids, who at 4 seriously just take one day at a time. We can learn a lot from these little tykes.

So, when the package arrives with new glasses, bifocals and all, the Cable family will celebrate what a lucky day we've been given! Parents have to do what parents have to do and the Cable parents will probably have to have a pizza and breadsticks night... because, after all, that's what happens around here on a lucky day. And, I'm learning that taking one day at a time has far more excitement than always worrying and preparing for the 'what-ifs'

No comments:

Post a Comment