"I have found the best way to give advice to your children is to find out what they want and then advise them to do it."
--Harry S. Truman

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

A Growing Girl

Just looking at the little photos published on the side and paying attention to how little Leila was is just making me question where the year has gone.

It's been a year since Easter, since our trip to Naples, and almost a year since our trip to Michigan. In that year, Leila has grown a little hair, a little height, and a lot more vocal and a lot more sassier. (Don't mistake my descriptions of her for an idea that we don't embrace and love her for her sassiness... but, hey, facts are facts and this is a history book.)

I'm not sure, really, how to steer her into cooperation and reasoning ability. It just isn't working out the same way as it did for Gage. One thing I have learned (which is a no-brainer, but hindsight is 20/20) that once she receives over-the-top praise for good choices and behaviors, she's wrapped around your finger and wants to please you. A simple praise or comment, like what works for Gage, just doesn't convince Leila to do well. I think this is partially what makes her girlishness--after all, she's always been sensitive so it makes sense that she'd also be sensitive to praise and comforts.

She'll be collecting Easter eggs again soon and, fortunately, we won't be taking her on any big trips that involve an airport soon... I'm not sure what's to come of our summer: will she be too headstrong to survive the ways and means of the Austin Lake rules and lifestyle of a Cable or will she blossom socially and revel in all of the excitement and adventure that comes at us on a daily basis? I know she may still not have patience for long ski boat outings, but, in the end, I'm sure she's going to give us the best of the above mentioned scenarios. Anyways, what kind of girl would she be if she didn't have inconsistent moods and behaviors? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment