"I have found the best way to give advice to your children is to find out what they want and then advise them to do it."
--Harry S. Truman

Friday, March 16, 2012

Leila, the coach

The last time I remember a warm spring break was from the younger days of coaching track and field. Most of the time we were stuck with rain, wind, and even snow, but there was one year that we had all sun, all the time. I have finally had another one of those spring break weeks and instead of coaching 30 boys, I've had just my little 3-year old to adventure with.

No doubt little Leila is going to be an athlete-- she is so darn competitive, it's awesome (and maybe scary, too)! She has legs to the moon and she makes those things go, go, go! If I could have 1/8th her energy, I would be scary accomplished. Anyway, our days have been spent as much as we can going down below to our safety zone of Keyhole.

Grandpa Cable has organized two new playground sets and another 100-ton (or more) sandpile... plus the others that were already there. From '3-story' noodle slides, to 'feeding' her horse "maximus", we've been motoring. Throw in some sidewalk chalk, the Polaris, and some sunglasses, and she's been content for hours.

The icing on the cake is that if I've timed our outings well enough, she has taken a nap each day. :)

One day, after reading our naptime book, Leila realized she left her baby in my bed. She ran off to get her and came back in a disgusted teenager's huff:
Mom, My baby was in your bed.... puking all over the place!


Stifling my gut laughter, I took her very seriously and asked her if she cleaned up the mess for me.
No, mom... she hit the bowl, but I left that for you.


After she fell asleep, I went to my bedroom just to check out what might have been going on in there. I found a mixing bowl on my pillow and saw where her baby had been sleeping according to the covers. As funny as it is, I have to say it's too bad my world of medicine that makes me sick has entered into the pretend play world of my daughter. :)

But, hey, if she's going to coach her dolls to puke into a bowl, then what does that say for when Leila has an upset tummy. Maybe no more messes for mom? After all my experiences, that would be even better than a spring break around the track!

No comments:

Post a Comment