At work I meet people on a regular basis from all walks of life, from all sorts of professions, and from all kinds of expertise areas. This semester has been a blessing in regards to knowing someone who called someone who transferred me to someone who just happened to know someone (a nurse) at the Jefferson County Department of Health-- who I've come to peg as an angel for our family.
This nurse, a person I never would have found on my own if it weren't for my blabbering kind of personality, educated me on a statewide Bureau for Children with Medical Handicaps-- a bureau, who if you choose doctors that belong, pays for diagnosis and treatment measures for children with particular handicaps until the age of 19. Can you say breathe a deep sigh of relief?
Trying to use my outgoing, charming habits when I'm meeting people for the first time, I even learned I have this nurse's daughter in class this semester. Talk about irony, talk about what a small world.
She has lined me up with several names of allergists and gastroenterologists who belong to this bureau. Finally, today, I have spent three solid hours cross-referencing names and facilities of the bureau information to our insurance information. I feel I have struck gold by finding not only one pair, but also two pairs of doctors at both the Cleveland Clinic and at Akron's Children's Hospital. I never, ever could have done it without Nurse Beth. And I never would have found Nurse Beth if it weren't for the office friend who knew someone at the WIC department, who transferred me to the Health Department, who hooked me up with Beth. So blessed.
As sad as I am that we won't be returning to the wonderful facilities of Pittsburgh's Children's Hospital, I am simply eager to start over with Ohio providers--who not only are covered by our insurance, but who are also members of the BCMH.
Austin and I are swimming in a medical nightmare after our last segment of visits/surgery/emergency room/hospitalization at Pittsburgh. Our insurance covered the facility, but none of the doctors--despite every doctor telling me that they accepted our insurance. It's a mess and I never thought I needed to come home and re-check the work of supposed professionals to make sure they were being thorough and honest. It's going to take months to sort out and years to pay for and because of Gage's situation, this isn't a one-time only fiasco. He needs ongoing care, ongoing professionals who specialize in his needs, and he is worth every minute it takes me to solve this problem.
We simply won't give up... and in the end, maybe we'll even be ahead of the game!
Between this situation and the just as bad of a situation regarding my (thankfully) cancelled surgery and my 'fired' Pittsburgh specialist, I have really started to develop some true Ohio Valley Pride. If it exists anywhere, there is someone nearby who can help. It just takes getting out from underneath a rock to get that sunshine treatment. (and that getting out from underneath a rock would be me)
No comments:
Post a Comment