What it means to be a family, of course comes in all shapes and sizes, all descriptions and traditions. To create a family norm is tough business in these parts. The kids and I are surrounded by four generations of a family business who has its own ways and styles-- and in my own description of family and norm, these ways and styles aren't always what I would label comfort and fun. Around here, families who work together, stay together. Around here, we work so others can vacation. So on and so forth. Thus, we're still working on our own norm here and while I often feel like a long-tailed dog sitting on a porch full of rocking chairs, I know that we're in this thing together.
However, during our breakfast this morning, Gage tried to share his crayons with Austin. By share I mean that Gage tried to convince Austin that he could take one home with him. Austin assured him that 'this' was his home; he was home. Gage replied, "Nooo... you can take it to your home down below... your Austin Lake home." Even Gage notes the hectic schedule of his father--and maybe... just maybe... Austin realizes my push for more balance is a push that will make all of us better off. I had to hide my grin. Sir Gage has my back. This morning, for just a moment, my tail certainly felt more safe.
No comments:
Post a Comment