"I have found the best way to give advice to your children is to find out what they want and then advise them to do it."
--Harry S. Truman

Friday, September 4, 2009

John Deere: Always on His Mind

Why is it that all the most funny moments are the hardest to capture?  Last night I had gone to bed and Gage was eating his 'dinner' at 9 p.m. with Austin.  I had had a long day with him, not because he was behaving badly, but because he was just wound for sound (as my mom would say).  Now, our small house has some benefits to it-- and one is that you can hear just about the entire house from our bedroom.  (this can also be a negative thing, too, I guess)  I was trying to get to sleep when Gage's conversation with Austin was just too, too funny.  I won't even get it all, or get it in the right order, but it has to be recorded for history's sake:

It all started when Gage told Austin that he had a grandson.  Austin went through the ropes with Gage, explaining how he couldn't have a grandson because Gage was too young to have any son's... and that Leila better not have any sons just yet.  So then, Gage decided that he had some grandsons... five of them to be exact and one of them was Blue's Clues and that "other guy" on Blue's Clues.  (Today on the way to Mollie's he told his name was Steve.  I would have thought he'd chosen Joe.)  

Back to last night.  Austin asked if he got married first.  Yes.  To who?  I can't remember.  What's her name?  I forget.  You don't know who you married?  No, I can't tell you who it is.  Oh.  Well, where did you get married?  At the doctor's.  You got married at the doctor's?  Yes.  Well, were we invited?  No, you weren't there, but I have another mom now.  You do?  You have another mom?  What's her name?  I'm not really sure.  But I have another dad, too.  Really?  And what is his name?  I can't tell you.   The boy was going on and on and on and either the conversation ended or it was the right recipe to send me off to peaceful sleep. 

So this morning, I'm glad I was a little clued in to all of these new life changes because he picked it up right where he left off.  This time explaining where he lives:
Well, I can't go to Mollie's right now, mom, because I have some stuff to drop off at the camper.
At the camper?  Whose camper are you going to?
Mine.  It's my John Deere camper.  I painted it green.
You painted your camper green?  Is this where you live?
Yes, with all my grandsons.
Do you have a bathroom in your camper? (I was trying to get him to pee and get out the door)
Oh, yes, it's on the roof.
Your bathroom is on the roof??? How do you get there?
On the elevator.
Your John Deere camper that you painted green has a bathroom on the roof and an elevator??
Yes, it's for the grandsons.  They're sitting everywhere.
Well get them ready for Mollie's house.  We need to leave.  Did you pack their bags?
No, you did Mommy.
If I packed their bags then where are they?  I'm ready to leave.
Aww, we don't need to take them any bags, they can just sit in the all the way back.
You aren't going to put your grandson's in car seats?
No, they can just sit everywhere....

This kid, again, is a HOOT!  So far I know Blue's Clues and Steve are his grandsons and he can't remember his wife's name.... and I definitely hope he isn't setting an example for me here by already dreaming of living in a John Deere camper.  But then again... I know of some others who started off living in a camper.  :)  They do make some darn nice ones these days.

Now I need Gage to teach his grandsons by example how to ask for things without whining.  

By the way, I have gone from ma ma, to mommy, to moooom in a matter of what feels like days. I can't believe how quickly time has gone.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment