"I have found the best way to give advice to your children is to find out what they want and then advise them to do it."
--Harry S. Truman

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Share and Share some More

It's impossible to actually ignore Leila; she just wouldn't let you.  As she definitely doesn't like to be left out of the action (or left to be by herself), as a second born child it's certainly more of a challenge to give her undivided attention as Gage received.  I realize this will probably make her much more independent and will probably also make her a bit more compassionate (one of these days).  Regardless, it's tough to divide me up and to keep everyone happy.  So lately I've been sneaking away to bond with the girl when the boys aren't watching... or noticing... and it's been a lot of fun.  Usually we just go off and 'talk.'  It's purely amazing how she can melt my heart.  Just like her brother, she's too stubborn to enjoy tummy time, and she'd rather cry about it until she gets her way instead of working at it to reach toys.  And also like Gage, she loves books-- except she loves to eat them.  Grab and chomp, that's what she does to just about everything.  However, the priceless little Leila's-her-own-person trick is classic "girl":  not much cooing or babbling for her, it's an all out, constant squeal just like she's dishing the best gossip of the century and so excited to tell the world. And tell and tell and tell.  It's a giggle buster for all of us.  And since these squeals really do go on and on for some time, our hidden world is usually discovered before I'm quite ready to give her up.  It might be tough to share mom, but I'm learning that it can also be tough lesson for mom to share, too.  :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment