I didn't take Gage to his preschool classroom this week but took him to the babysitter's instead. I did this partially because Leila doesn't feel well and would be happier at the babysitter's house with Gage there, too, but also because Gage, too, still has a nasty hacking cough and I didn't want the preschool folks to hear it and then worry about their own health.
Between my classes, I saw one of his teachers who asked where he was. We chatted for awhile and then I was sure to tell her how appreciative we are for the job they do. Gage just loves going there... and he has some buddies his own age who are also boys. (Many more girls than boys around here closest to Gage's age). However, the teacher told me of a little girl who was quite upset that Gage was absent. This girl, of course, I've never even heard of. Maria, says the teacher, really has it bad for Gage. Gage, in all boy fashion, talks up Gabe and Riley and Dylan... but never a word about Maria.
I waited until Austin was home before I asked Gage about Maria... I wanted us both to see whatever reaction or hear whatever story. He was busy playing in a dirt pile next to our patio when I asked him. He froze. He blushed. He stood up and looked at me with some goofy grin, started to sputter, and then just said "heh heh heh" in some pubescent-like giggle. With that startled reaction, I couldn't let him off the hook, so I egged him on to tell us about her. He turned into a blubbering, stumbling cave-boy at just the request from us to tell us about Maria. And then he ran off. Obviously, we didn't get much out of him... which tells me a lot... I think he's quite fond of the little girl, too! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment