"I have found the best way to give advice to your children is to find out what they want and then advise them to do it."
--Harry S. Truman

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

What I Love about Her

One of my favorite moments out of every day is checking on my sleeping babes. I'm extremely sentimental about them when they are sleeping. It's my private time when in a quick instant my memories fast forward with amazing still frames of our life with our children. I guess in this stage, this is my favorite 'me-time' activity.

It's been a long journey with Leila and with sleep. From birth, she rarely slept unless she was sleeping on me or with me. In case it was the scent, I would even wear Austin's shirts so he could have them back and take a turn sleeping with her, but it really didn't matter. By the time she was 6-months old, things improved ever so slowly. And, because she was older we were a little more daring to break the 'rules', which my mom was never afraid to break--which is why she probably slept well for my mom.

One of those rules was sleeping her on her tummy or among loose covers. We eventually (because she started rolling) learned that Leila only likes to sleep on her tummy and she only likes to sleep with her nose buried in blankets. Every still frame of Leila sleeping includes her cherished white blanket, usually wrapped over her head or tucked in her arms in a hug. Every still frame of Leila sleeping includes a girl who breaks the rules and still survives. She's a little lady of routine and of independence. I love sneaking into her room to see her cuddled into a corner, on her belly, wrapped in her blanket. She's just amazing and we're so blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment