My mom has several different photos of me sporting a black eye in our family album. I most often remember at least one brother being involved and usually some other object: a snow ball placed in the freezer before the snow ball 'fight', a dishwasher lid being left down, etc.
With great disappointment, I've begun my own black eye album. Leila met Gage at the height of his 'in charge' attitude and a tin coffee can full of solidified candle wax came between their brawl. Luckily (or not so luckily, I haven't decided) I did not witness this... but poor Grandma Cable was certainly not too happy about Leila's first big injury occurring during her watch. I know she punished him and I think Austin and I also did a pretty good job explaining the importance of taking care of family, of sisters, of people who are smaller than we are, etc. I told him the snowball story of my childhood and it made him very sad when he learned that I'd been hurt before. It drove home the point--being hurt is no fun and hurting someone is just not nice. :)
After a night's sleep and thinking we were done with the injuries for awhile, Gage slammed a dresser drawer with Leila's fingers still inside "because he didn't want it open." Definitely wasn't a pretty site... it's amazing what blood does for putting the fear into a toddler. It's also amazing what tears from his momma will do to straighten him up.
He's been extra careful since then... even calling her 'sweetie' and saying things like 'no, I can't let you can't get hurt, sweetie'. She's earned a nickname for sure as Bruiser just fits her. I hope this section in my family album is a short one.
No comments:
Post a Comment