"I have found the best way to give advice to your children is to find out what they want and then advise them to do it."
--Harry S. Truman

Saturday, March 6, 2010

She's that Good



By writing this post, I'm admitting that I've finally dropped my guard and started buying a kid's cereal on occasion. I started with Lucky Charms. Gage is not much of a breakfast kid and I have a hard time forcing the issue of 'breakfast foods at breakfast time' because I am not a breakfast fan either. So, I guess for the sake of quickness and for the fact cereal is packable, I gave in to the kid's cereal. It's been great... with Gage, it's serving its purpose nicely. With Leila...

Oh Boy. For starters, I have no idea how she knows to dig through the cereal to only eat the marshmallows. It took her about 10 seconds to adopt this policy. In fact, she sat (which we all know she doesn't do willingly or well for too long) in her high chair the entire time that my mom gave my dad a haircut because she had a tray of Lucky Charms. Once the marshmallows were gone, she tossed the rest, one by one.

Secondly, while she still doesn't have or use too many 'words' that are easily recognizable, she is mastering shaking her head no like a true teenaged girl. So when we're feeding her and she begins to shake her head no, we give her some 'appetizers' of finger food (cheerios, Lucky Charms, etc) and while she's content with those, we can continue to feed her the vegetable of the day. Therefore, again, the cereal is also my lucky charm.

But, the kicker to it all happened yesterday. Keep in mind, my first born never even once cared to open up or wreck havoc on the contents of my kitchen cupboards. Leila, on the other hand, is all about dumping, dropping, and clearing off shelves. Adding to her capabilities, she figured out how to open and use the Lazy Susan cupboard. And what was inside, but a box of Lucky Charms. She basically crawled inside the cupboard as though she was caving and dragged out only the plastic bag of cereal. At this point, I knew my re-arranging of contents was an inevitable task to accomplish during my spring break.

To begin, I unloaded the cereals from the cupboard and added what was necessary to the storage containers I keep on my counter tops. Out of sight, out of mind, right? Not so. This morning, she weeded through our recycling, found the box (now empty) of Lucky Charms and brought it to my attention--as if to say, "these, mom... give me my lucky charms, mom!" So far she is settling for cheerios and I think I've taught myself a lesson-- don't stray from your own inner voice of what is best for your kids-- sugary, marshmallow cereal is definitely back on that list for me. So... before anyone gets a black eye over this... we're done with Lucky Charms!

No comments:

Post a Comment