"I have found the best way to give advice to your children is to find out what they want and then advise them to do it."
--Harry S. Truman

Friday, October 7, 2011

Growing Girl

We nearly have a potty-trained Leila. She is super happy to be wearing princess panties! She may not be nighttime trained until college, but we aren't concerned about that battle at all. My prediction was right: when I was consistent enough to not put her in a pull up, she would be consistent enough to use the potty. I'm glad fall has gotten this accomplishment onto Leila's victory wall. Mollie says she's the 'star' at her house, as she is now the oldest. All the boys think it's pretty cool that Leila wears underwear.

I'm starting to fret my decision to begin working four days out of the week. Leila is consistently under-rested and moody. Part of the problem with rest still occurs at nighttime, but now she has a bunch of buddies to play with so she is not napping like her body really needs her to do. This causes moodiness, defiance, and less ability to focus to do anything--especially to sit still and eat. During the day she holds her own, but as soon as 4 o'clock hits, she ravels out of control. Our parenting skills are certainly being broadened, needing patience and inventiveness, and our family structure sure seems tested. She's a lot like me, if she's not fed and rested, she's just a bear.

When I type about it, it reads like doom and gloom, but I think people can relate and know it's not all doom and gloom. It's just a constant challenge. It has made me decide to cut out one day of work a week if I can find a back up for a few weeks to see if it makes a difference. That would give her four days in a row at home, two at home with only mom (which means a nap is extremely possible, since she is napping right now!) And, I guess that's just how I operate. I would move heaven and earth to make sure my kids grow up happy and grow up feeling secure. I think rest makes all of us feel a little more at peace. We'll see how it goes. We've gone this long without much money being contributed to the family by me, I think we can go a little longer.

Other future thoughts that I didn't ever think I'd say includes putting her into preschool next fall for part of the week. Leila loves structured activities. Whereas Gage can and will self-entertain on his own each and every day if permitted, Leila really likes to be in the crowd and doing what the crowd is doing. She really enjoys drawing and doing any of that sort of stuff with glue and scissors. I found out just last week that one of Gage's preschool teachers from last year who is now at Gage's current school has only a 3-year old classroom. Finding out they are separated makes it more enticing for me to send her to preschool for two years, even if only part-time the first year.

Last night she let me blow dry her hair after her bath. It was really fun for me to do that. It reminded me of when I was little, too. I loved my mom doing my hair (well, that's how I remember it anyway). I couldn't believe how nice it looked after it was blown dry. The day before, the sound of being in my make up bag penetrated a door, the Backyardigans singing the hokey pokey and Leila was at my side in about 2.3 seconds. I think Santa is going to have to bring her some of her own real make up.

Slowly, but surely, the little girl pretend play with dolls is coming out in her. This morning she had a 15-minute conversation with her Elmo stuffed animal and the day was planned. She really loves to be the boss; we're pretty sure she's successful at it, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment