"I have found the best way to give advice to your children is to find out what they want and then advise them to do it."
--Harry S. Truman

Monday, May 17, 2010

Leila Language

At 15-months old, Leila's language consists mostly of her own way of saying and gesturing for things. I've got most of it down pat, which is one of a million reasons that I'm glad I'm the one home with her most every day.

Words of Leila's: thank you, all done, Thomas, doggy, kitty, woof woof, uh oh, duck, quack quack, mooo, dada, mama, shoe, bye bye, hi, awwww, good girl, blanket, brother, shhhh, tickle tickle tickle,

She's on target with her sounds and gestures to communicate: yes, no, swing, rock, bottle, drink, hungry, night night, Gage, more, kiss, and baby

It's not a long list, really, but she is getting better at making us understand before throwing herself onto the floor and into a tantrum. (Thus her chipped tooth) That's a hurdle crossed. For instance, over the weekend, her little croc kept falling off while she was playing in the yard. One little phrase that sounded a lot like nothing was an entire sentence of Leila asking for help with her shoe. It was amazing... each time it was the same gobbledegook 'word for word'. As long as you're listening, you can figure her out. Kids are amazing. I mean, bless her little heart, because she's trying and she's getting the hang of communicating, but the rest of the world is a little slow to the Leila language.

At dinner tonight we taught two signs to her that we remembered from watching so many Baby Einstein DVDs with Gage, and she immediately started using them appropriately. I think I've found another summer project because if accurately communicating puts an end to some of her tantrums, I am all over learning and teaching sign language to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment