"I have found the best way to give advice to your children is to find out what they want and then advise them to do it."
--Harry S. Truman

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Photos and the Second Born

I've been a terrible mom at actually making prints of our photos ever since we got our new computer. If I print them, I just have to, then, find a time and place to make and store an album... and time and space is usually on the short list around here. So, I've justified to myself that as long as they are organized in IPhoto, then there is no harm or foul.

However, one project I've recently worked on involves black and white photos of our kids... and here's the bottom line: Gage: 1 million awesome candids. Leila: not so much. It looks like I never take pictures of her, which is partially true compared to when I had only one child, but the real truth is that Leila doesn't allow me to capture candid moments of her. Anytime I'm able to get the camera out, she's in my face, trying to push buttons. Otherwise, she's asleep and I'm maybe snapping photos of Gage (who often plays on his own, ignoring the world around him)... again making it look like the first born has all the attention. I can already hear this future fight occurring (and I know because I, the third-born, accused my mom of the same thing). The fact of the matter is not that parents love the first any more than the rest of the other children; it's purely that a mom has more time and opportunity when there is only one child.

I hope that I can explain to Leila that because there may appear to be fewer photos of her that she can deduce that I was spending time with her and tending to her needs. In Leila-land that equates to attention: rocking, snuggling, and romping. Those are hard activities to capture digitally.

With that said, though, I do vow to try to do better at capturing those awesome candids and at making sure my kids know they are and have always been equally loved, respected, and enjoyed!!

No comments:

Post a Comment