"I have found the best way to give advice to your children is to find out what they want and then advise them to do it."
--Harry S. Truman

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Why I Try to Write

A nurse at my OB-GYN office lost her grown son in a motorcycle accident when I was pregnant with Leila. During a visit, she asked me if I kept a baby book. I did keep a baby book, but I told her how stupid baby book publishers were because there was never a line or page to write about the really good stuff, that baby books were too full of numbers and statistics. During that visit, she inspired me to do more than keep the stats--as I would encourage any other mother to do as well. While no parent should out-live a child, this nurse has had difficulty finding comfort or trying to grieve as she did not have any of his childhood stories written. She only had fragmented memories of odd occasions, but there was nothing for her to wrap herself in and remember all the little moments, the funny one-liners, the amazing first-time accomplishments, the thoughts and feelings that they shared with one another.

And, even though I majored in communications and teach composition, I must also admit that when I blog, I do not practice the 'writing is a recursive process' lecture. When I look back and re-read some of my posts, I see the mechanics issues, the spelling issues... shoot, I even see the unorganized paragraphs. However, hopefully whoever reads this blog sees that I'm trying to--in what little time there is--tell stories about our family, to give life to the memories that are so cute and that happen so quickly that they can be forgotten in a matter of weeks.

I want to make sure that getting caught up in the daylies doesn't overshadow the future need to reflect and reminisce. So, thanks for letting me do just that, no matter how riddled with mistakes, how lame, or how unorganized. :) Afterall, right now I've got to get back to being a mom. There goes the chance to edit :)

No comments:

Post a Comment