1. As Austin was finishing student teaching for the day, he walked into my building to meet up with a mutual friend. I remember thinking, "Wow... this is not the typical male from OU's College of Education." Not that there was a problem with my male colleagues, but Austin really stood out from them-- he looked so grown up and 'together' Well-ironed and fancy dress clothes, tie, fancy shoes, and a belt! (those things stood out because of lists my girlfriends and I had made one time at a local diner). He had manners, a great smile, and he drove a Jeep Wrangler. Who knew then that we'd later be married. :)
2. On a backpacking trip with 20-ish high school students, Austin and I (we were working at the same school at this point) were put into the same group to lead some of these kids on their 20-ish mile trek. For many reasons (some out of my control, some not), I was not as prepared as I needed to have been for those two days of backpacking. I was the only female chaperon and every one but Austin trekked on as I struggled with my pack... and later with hunger as the kids who were responsible for organizing meals, did not take into consideration my peanut allergy. That was my first glance of how prepared Austin always is... I mean, always! Eagle Scout himself was my hero that weekend. He kept me upbeat and did all he could, short of carrying me out of the woods, to help me 'make it' mentally and physically.
3. When we were dating, we lived 3 hours away from one another. We took turns traveling and weekends were filled with great times traveling and doing neat things. During the spring it was always harder to make schedules work well because of track and Austin Lake. I really wanted him to chaperon prom with me so I think he went to Athens three weekends in a row to make that happen in conjunction with working around my coaching schedule. Little did I know then how difficult that particular event was for him to pull off-- he took his private pilot's license exam that same day in Wheeling. I understand now the rigor it took to study, prepare, do his job-job, pass his exam and do the traveling necessary to see me on the weekends. One example of how unselfish he is and always will be to please the ones he loves. He's an amazing person.
4. We traveled cross country together for nearly 6 weeks one summer. We did not map out a plan, we did not have much of a time table, and our goals and wishes were even pretty obtuse. Seriously, it was the most laid back, yet biggest, adventure of my life at that point. That's an oxymoron in my world of being pretty type A when it comes to that sort of stuff. My cousin Amy told me that she would fly me home from anywhere if it went south in a hurry (lol, we still laugh at that) but I just kind of knew that wouldn't be necessary. Those days of riding side by side on back roads of this gigantic country in a non-air conditioned Jeep Wrangler are priceless. There are several stand out moments from that trip, but I remember fondly one particular evening when we were driving between Phoenix and Las Vegas. It was one of those moments where you just feel like you're part of a different universe and everything normal as you know it is non-existent. The sun was setting, it was hot but shady, and cactus after cactus after cactus made us laugh hysterically. They were in the millions and it was just us and funny-looking, humongous cacti in our world. I guess it was a good sign that the smallest of things can entertain us-- because the bottom line is that we just like each other's company that much. Six or so years later and we still do.
5. When I saw Austin perform in concert with Section 8 at an alumni event at OU, I nearly fell over. I had known him for a few years and had talked to him, hung out with him, and had worked with him, but I had never... never known of his amazing singing talent. (nor of the talent of Section 8 for that matter) Section 8 is a group of men who sing ocapella and create 'instruments' with their voices as well (kind of like the TV show). They were amazingly talented... but when they ripped out Van Morrison's Moondance, I think I realized my whole life had been waiting for that particular moment and that particular guy. Cheesy, but, it's true in hindsight, so I think it was okay to feel like that then. We weren't even aware that we'd be at the same alumni function, but it was that weekend, that concert, and that perfect timing for a change that started the whole thing that has led us to marriage and two beautiful children.
**the '5' theme is something my students are writing around so I thought I'd do the same as a way to be more introspective as well-- the how and why we got to where we are is all part of our history that I'd like my children to know.
No comments:
Post a Comment