"I have found the best way to give advice to your children is to find out what they want and then advise them to do it."
--Harry S. Truman

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Painting

Art and creativity run on both sides of Gage and Leila's parents. I have always been into art and writing and Austin has always been into music. His grandmother and his sister are also talented artists. And, with motherhood I thought I would have lots of fun opportunities with my kids to do crafts and macaroni art and all of that stuff. Until an extreme recent turn of events, Gage has never given the idea of coloring or painting much of a chance, let alone a second or third chance. I know better than to force the issue so I've just ridden the wave of letting him figure out his interests.

Leila, on the other hand, is much more into the hands-on, dirt (paint, etc) on the hands and all, artistry. She is fond of chalk, pens, and crayons. But, she's not so trustworthy yet so we have to monitor as best as possible if we allow her to paint or play with play-d'oh. She is the best snake artist I know. :)

At school, the kids have moved past boring worksheets and crayons andfinally started painting--finger painting, painting with brushes, etc. Gage LOVES it. I'm so excited for him and I love opening his backpack every day to see what may have come home with him. Lately, he has been impressing us--his painted beach ball, his painted rainbow (following Roy G. Biv rules), and his painted shark-- I mean, the boy is even staying between the lines.

The teacher in me and the mom and me are getting together and dreaming about spring time art projects! I can't wait to get outside and teach my kids how to do all kinds of art thanks to the nature that surrounds us. Pressing leaves and doing chalk rubbings were always some of my favorite things. Now I'm even more eager for spring and warm (and dry) days.

No comments:

Post a Comment