"I have found the best way to give advice to your children is to find out what they want and then advise them to do it."
--Harry S. Truman

Friday, February 10, 2012

Then and Now Revisited

I think awhile back I wrote a couple of posts about life before and after motherhood, but a recent conversation with a friend has my mind revisiting some of those thoughts so I thought I'd post more. Keep in mind, when I draft blog ideas in my mind (while trying to go to sleep, while drifting off topic when grading papers, etc) they are so much more humorous than they are when I get them typed. With that said:

Adult Conversations
Pre-children-- wit and humor (sometimes inappropriate humor) was so much easier. Say it, say it loud, say it proud, hope to not be taken wrong or to stick a foot in my mouth

Post-children-- censor, censor, censor. Keep sarcasm to a minimum in the presence of a child or that child may wind up in early counseling sessions as children certainly cannot (rightfully so) grasp the art or humor of sarcasm.

Multi-tasking
Pre-children-- I thought I was a master multi-tasker. I could single-handedly work, coach, manage the yearbook, participate in fundraising activities, go to grad school, serve on a dozen committees, attend sporting events, maintain a spotless house, pay bills on the day they arrived in the mail, and make happy hour at least once or twice a week. Oh, and I could work out and maintain a social life with both near and far friends. What a champion.

Post-children-- As a multi-tasking machine these days (insert pre-children sarcasm voice) , I've learned that true multi-tasking isn't about how much one can do and maintain sanity, but is about how much one can do at one time and maintain sanity. My best multi-tasking feat might go a little like this: nursing one baby while reading a book to another baby AND making a grocery list. Or, washing clothes, giving baths, grading essays, and cooking dinner. Or better yet even, having a split-second solution to this scenario--cleaning up vomit off of me, a child, and Red Lobster's floor/table/booth... in about as little time as humanly possible--and getting everyone (including our take out) to the vehicle before anyone at the restaurant can process what had just hit them.

Time
Pre-children-- What time should I meet you at Tony's? I have all the time in the world to write that paper; it's not due until tonight at 6. When is our next meeting? What time do you want to go to the movies? How much time do you have before you need to feed the meter? Who's going on the skiing trip? I graded 80 research papers in one weekend!

Post-children-- What time does Gage need his next round of medicine. I have a paper due in an hour, no problem. Who (the f *censored post-children thought in my head*) thinks I have time to go to another meeting? Do you think we'll be able to stay awake if we rent a movie tonight? How much longer until bed time? Will we ever go on another ski trip? I just graded 80 research papers in one night--while also making dinner, giving baths, and folding laundry.

:) Wouldn't trade it for the world

No comments:

Post a Comment