"I have found the best way to give advice to your children is to find out what they want and then advise them to do it."
--Harry S. Truman

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Conference Time

We have conferences next week with Gage's teachers. The experienced moms filled me in all about conferences. I found out yesterday in the parking lot (where all great meetings take place) that if I was signed up for a conference, that my kid was in TROUBLE. Well, I am already fired up enough about the progress of this school year and this was not good information for me to hear. All these moms were snickering at me and warning me about how the teacher will not let up until she makes me cry during conferences. (Oh, the horror stories I heard yesterday!!)

However, I cannot wait for a week to find out bad news as I will be so grumpy and mean when I walk in that the walls will shake. So... I pulled my trump card and called my husband at work. I told him to find out the 'subject' matter of this conference so if it were necessary to conduct it sooner rather than later, we'd be there. I also filled him in on the spy report I got from a mom who worked the Halloween party, which isn't pretty, so Austin knows that I might be calling for another meeting with her anyway!! :)

Austin came home and told me that the conference is going to be about his fine motor skills (you know, the ones that involve coloring and writing, his two least favorite activities in the world). I laughed at that one. Shoot, if that's his worst problem, we're golden. He's a boy, he just turned 4, and the teacher has a train set in her room... you think my kid is going to sit and write or color within the lines without a fight? Exactly. That's a laughable situation, which is why he started school unable to write a single letter. I refused to force him to do something that he hated so much as I believe all that will come in time.

Now... back to the Halloween party. We'll see who leaves the conference crying. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment