A weekend away is just what this family needed and going to McConnelsville was a sure bet for goodness. It was actually quite nice to be back in town for Halloween weekend instead of stuck out here in the country. And, actually, we made it back to both my towns: Athens and McVille.
Gage and I got ready really early on Saturday morning and snuck away to JoAd's for their customer appreciation day. Gage knows this is the store that 'saved his life' and what I mean is that this store made it possible for me to cope and to cook for Gage during the worst of our bad days with food allergies. JoAd's had food samplings all over the store and Gage was like a little boy with an empty belly who was fascinated to eat any of the samples if it meant eating off another toothpick with a shiny flag on the end. After loading up our baskets and buying enough supplies to take to our friends' house, we loaded up for Athens.
Unfortunately, JoAnn's husband, Scott was really sick so fortunately we were able to move the party to her parents backyard and had a lunch time weenie roast. Gage thought this was odd--having a daytime bonfire. The great thing about it, when my kids are outside and there is so much a speck of dirt, they can be self-entertaining for quite some time. I had a great opportunity to sit and enjoy my oh-so-much missed friend, JoAnn. The kids were hysterical. Her boys are 12 and 7 and even at that age, the dirt was all they needed. The four of them, that's right, don't leave Leila out of the dirt, pounded little stakes into the dirt clumps all afternoon. Leila found a trash can (without trash in it) to crawl into and took a little siesta there. I don't know if she was happy to be out of the wind or just thought she was hiding, but it was certainly funny. Of course I have pictures of all of this, but can never upload them.*
Later the kids rode horses, watched cows, painted pumpkins (and coats), and played all over the living room with a massive collection of John Deere toys. When we had to leave, Austin and I knew we had to risk going uptown for food since we were actually in Athens... regardless of the block party. At first, I felt bad about having my two munchkins on Court Street on the eve of the Block Party, but it was fairly tame. The street was closed off and many people were already out and about in costumes, but it just added to our enjoyment of eating Bagel Street Deli on the green. On our way out of town we had a great nostalgia for 10 minutes passing all the porch parties and even witnessed a parrot bush diving off his porch railing in his 'attempt' to fly for the camera. Man, OU was awesome! :)
Once back in McConnelsville, we were ready to trick or treat, but our kids were not. They were wiped out. We coaxed Gage enough to get him out of the house and by the 8th house or so, he was much happier to be receiving so much candy. I have to hand it to him, whenever he got to choose for himself, he did a great job choosing something that he wasn't allergic to. Leila, who would not wear her warm costume handed down to us in an emergency by our babysitter, went as a John Deere dirt girl.. a costume she worked hard on all afternoon while wearing her Carhartt's and John Deere hoodie and ball cap.
I really miss living in a town, whether Athens or McConnelsville as there is just so so much going on. I am glad that we get to do these outings... if not for my own peace of mind, but for teaching and rounding out our kids as well.
* I wish I could just sync my blog with my IPhoto.
No comments:
Post a Comment