I have a fond admiration for our military service men and women. Something about teaching at Federal Hocking, experiencing 9/11 in the unique way that I did, and being blessed with meeting and knowing so many people who have recently toured in Iraq or Afghanistan strengthens that admiration and patriotism, for that matter. Both of my grandfathers passed away before I really understood what I had before me in experiences and wisdom. But, I've tried to take advantage of that epiphany and as a mom, I don't want my children to grow up taking our freedoms for granted.
Gage has been mesmerized by the military for about a year. When I say mesmerized, I mean that he has a lot of questions for me whenever he sees something that makes him think of the military, of the good guys and the bad guys, and such things related to this. He really thinks about the whole good guy/bad guy thing in real terms, rather than in pretend play terms. This morning he watched the news with me and there were many stories about Veteran's Day. He asked me if all the bad guys 'were shooted yet'? It's not hard for me to talk to him about real things like this, but it is hard to know how he internalizes such things.
When Gage was just a baby, Marsha was at a function where she was able to have a psychic to do a reading for her. Oddly, this took place before we knew the exact root of our health concerns with Gage and the psychic had a lot to share with Marsha about Gage. One of the things she said was that he would be over the worst of his problems before he was five (true so far) and she told Marsha that Gage was a 'crystal baby.' She left it to us to come to an understanding of that 'term', but did tell Marsha that Gage's father was an indigo child. Of course this was completely an unknown term and thanks to Google, we could satisfy our curiosities.
Now a few things must be shared before I go on:
Marsha and Bill have always told a few stories about Austin's childhood that are standout in their minds. One story includes a time when Austin was very, very young. He simply woke up, marched up to his parents, and said something like "you know, you're my parents because I chose you." He has had many psychic-like moments and upon research of this new term to us, has many, many of the attributes described. *(regardless of how people feel about this sort of thing, it has been interesting for us to read about it and observe, as we are pretty open-minded folks).
Because Gage was just a baby at this time, we had no way of connecting any of the supposed attributes of a crystal child to Gage--other than the fact he was always soothed by water, always wanted to be outside, and most definitely was a sensitive baby to sounds, smells, food, and even people. But, I've often gone back to some of what I've learned and have made several connections to Gage and the messages of the psychic lady.
He definitely has a mature grasp at war, hardship, and pain. He is most definitely empathetic in adult-like ways, and he is extremely upset when he thinks, feels, or knows that someone is hurt (including cartoons). He has always hated having dirty hands, is not a boy's boy in terms of rough house or athletic play, and he is certainly partial to making great friends out of adults he feels a strong connection to... including my dad. He is not autistic and we don't think he is ADD or ADHD, although it won't surprise us if that comes down the road as it is kind of common among the Cables' lineage. And, as every parent should think about their children, we certainly feel that there is something just pretty special about ours, too.
As he matures, some of these characteristics about him deepen and are more obvious. I can't help but wonder if he's a peace seeker following in his father's track of independently challenging negativity and striving for nothing but good for all (which is extremely characteristic of Austin). I try to really listen to Gage and to appropriately give him information that he seeks--including information about war and hardship. When he has a father who wants to change the world, even the tiny portion of it where we live, and a mother with a wild imagination and crave for knowledge, we do give credit to the tiny possibility that there is truth in this information and on this Veteran's Day, it is important for me to think of all this country has endured for the sake of freedom and peace with hopes that our children and their children will be able to spend their lives in a relative state of peace that exists due to the sacrifices of so many others. We all have important jobs to do while we raise our children, some are a day-to-day job, and some jobs are cultivated throughout a lifetime. In Gage and Leila's lifetime, I pray that they witness more peace, love, and opportunity than generations of the past and they are able to also give thanks.
No comments:
Post a Comment