"I have found the best way to give advice to your children is to find out what they want and then advise them to do it."
--Harry S. Truman
Friday, November 12, 2010
One of Those Days
I have a head cold, and I took nighttime medicine for it. This is never a good idea when you're a parent whose children rarely sleep through the night. Luckily for me, my husband swooped in and took care of each child's needs as they each woke up at separate times with separate issues. We simply all are getting the junk that is going around right now. Thinking that with a better night sleep I would be more able to handle today, I woke up and went into action. However, with two feet on the floor and one cup of coffee in my belly, I was immediately called into action as though I were six humans.
Leila puked... and then again... and then again. Six loads of laundry already waiting for me in the basement, turned into about nine loads in a matter of five minutes. The only thing I had to catch the first 'batch' from Leila was a new dress that I have yet to wear. Nice. For whatever reason, I'll ruin about anything if it means saving the carpet from a blow of vomit.
Secondly, Gage gets overly irritated when he doesn't feel well. This means molehills get turned into mountains very quickly. I've had to separate my two precious babes about a half dozen times so far... all in the middle of trying to clean the bathroom and disinfect the toys they continue to sneeze all over and each separation spins Leila into a toy-throwing meltdown. One mess multiplies into six messes as quickly as I can turn around. Messes aren't really the main problem here though as the main problem is just trying to get them calm, settled, and entertained so that I can keep plugging away because.... I have to write two research papers and complete a take home final by Monday and we are having company tomorrow night that I have to cook for. There is a lot more on the list, but these three items top the list and the world just doesn't care when you and your kids are sick. It's like entering a different world all together when we all are sick at the same time.
However, even though we haven't been able to take full advantage of this awesome Indian summer, we are going to do our best to take advantage of it when our company arrives--which includes another little boy named Gage who is also allergic to nuts. How nuts is that? I'm so, so, so ecstatic that I'm finally (only after five years) starting to make some progress with having a social circle and feelings of being at 'home'.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment